Requisite Enterprise Flagship Program
Our flagship program provides your organisation with the capability to become a ‘requisite enterprise’ meaning one that sees a sustainable intent delivered through people who find satisfaction in doing so. The custodian of the process is the CEO, MD or Owner, with the HR function providing crucial systems, capability and support the transformation. Requisite Enterprise is an integrated way of designing and leading and a goal-direct work system of any size of scale.
Becoming a Requisite Enterprise takes the organisation through a number of stages:
The program is conducted over a 6-24 month period depending on the size and intent of the organisation which sees plans and projects significantly accelerated and expected benefits increased. This is done through dramatically increasing and integrating the organisation’s capability to deliver. Led directly by the CEO, MD or Owner, the roll-out occurs in three phases
Context and Clarifying ‘The Work of the Organisation’
- Executive team capability analysis provides information to the CEO and Board on the team’s ability to deliver over the timespans required. Used to make adjustments to top team if required before commencing journey.
- Establish the organisational context and the ‘Core Team’ for implementation. For success, significant organisational change needs to happen for a reason, and be lead by people with influence who are respected in the organisation. This step establishes this team and starts the necessary conversations in the business.
- Review of organisational intent to establish clarity and functional alignment. Worked on by the Executive and the Core Team, a workshop may also be conducted with the Board if required to review and clarify the intent of the organisation. This creates the blueprint for design, operation and leadership, and moves the organisational conversation toward the work required in the organisational context.
- Strategy session and clarification of the actual work – separate to the intent workshop. This is for the Executive and the Core Team (not including Board) where the strategies, approaches and actual work required to move toward the organisational purpose are identified and decided.
Training and Raising of Capability of Executive Leadership to Deliver
- Organisational Review of the current capability of the organisation to deliver through analysis of leadership practices, organisational design and talent pool at the senior levels of the organisation. Provides the context for the workshop in addition to the work completed by the Executive and Core Team in Phase One. Members of the Core Team trained in this stage to provide ongoing organisational capability for review and alignment in the future.
- Requisite Enterprise Induction Workshop Provides the Executive and the Core Team with the knowledge and skills required for roll-out through organisation, both supported and through training of in-house. This will see all managerial leaders in the organisation improve their capability to deliver work through setting up people to apply their natural capability by implementing the following steps.
Implement Changes to Empower People to Deliver and Cascade Through Organisation
- Structural analysis and levelling. Using knowledge gained from induction workshops and any in-house practitioners that have been trained, each area adopts a requisite structure after levels of work analysis, identification of necessary change and a planned program to implement.
- Role clarity and cross-functional alignment. Each area creates clarity for each of their people through identification of accountabilities and the necessary authorities to implement.
- Key information and process identification and leadership. Top team and layer below establishes the 10-20 key organisational processes that create or support value for customers. A leader for each process at the appropriate level is decided upon, along with the ‘user group’ of those involved in the process. This sets the conditions for later improvement.
- Talent pool alignment. The top team takes accountability for ensuring roles in their area are filled with people of the capability to handle the complexity of work required. A range of methods are available to assist managers and managers-once-removed in making these decisions.
- Leadership principles cascaded through organisation. The RE principles through which the organisation is now designed and lead are taught to all employees in a cascading process, lead by each person’s own direct manager.
- People system alignment. Throughout the project, HR modifies systems and practices around recruitment, induction, annual appraisal, performance management, talent pool & succession and finally remuneration to support organisational practices.
Organisational Development Programs
Leadership Development Program.
Programs are designed for leaders at any level of the organisation, with content changing to suit the unique value-add that occurs in the different themes of work. Groups consist of 5-10 participants, allowing learning together and the sharing of experiences.
Modules include: Understanding Your Level of Work, Effective Team Processes, Fundamentals of Work Delivery, Meaningful Context & Plans, Raising Performance, Fundamentals of Business Improvement, Delivering Successful Change and Projects, Relationships and Communication, Developing Talent, Financial and Reporting Acumen.
Example Feedback for this Program
“I wanted to say thanks so much for everything. I have immensely enjoyed the Great Leaders Program, and can honestly say that I have got more out of it than any other training I have ever done”
“I just wanted to let you know that I have seen some amazing changes in our managers/specialists coming out of your leadership training. It is exciting to see that changes are happening and I just wanted to let you know.”
“Would just like to thank Adam for the teachings provided thus far, I’ve incorporated them into the way I conduct work (where possible) and it has made a significant difference”
I wanted to say a huge thank you. Not just for the feedback yesterday, but for the whole process. Feedback from others that I have heard have generally been along the lines of – ‘probably the best piece of feedback/reporting I have ever had in my career’. Certainly powerful stuff.
Organisational Change Program
Delivered over 12 months or tailored to suit your organisational timeframes, the program consists of facilitated sessions, access to e-learning materials, Change Leadership workshops, coaching sessions and development of individual wisdom. Other components such as Change Delivery Scans, development of organisational change processes, and Participating in Change Workshops for affected staff are included to develop a full program that delivers the change required.
Workshops and Training
Working Journey workshops are designed to be run in-house for organisations already with a Working Journey Organisational Licence as well as being run in public forums in Australian Capital Cities as demand requires. Contact us it you are interested in holding any of our workshops in-house or for any upcoming public workshops. Coaching and advisory services are offered as a post-workshop adjunct to assist in further knowledge and implementation of learnings for results.
Foundations of Requisite Enterprise (2.5 day)
Use of materials and tools provided by The Working Journey requires and organisational licence.
“This workshop has been the best investment of my time ever in a training context with respect to how to deliver outcomes as a manager. The concepts are logical, presented clearly and in a timely manner. The supporting material is excellent. The discussion was spot on with all topics, it’s the best management instruction you can get”
Fundamentals of Frontline Leadership (1-2 day)
“All organisations should consider this as a way of ensuring effective structure and leadership is in place. Provides clarity to the workplace where sometimes things can become difficult and overcomplicated” FRONTLINE MANAGER
Designing Effective Roles:
Principles of Organisational Design (1-2 day)
Ideal for Managers of all levels and Organisational Development professionals, discover how organisational or departmental design – the roles and their relationships, are causing people frustration in simply doing their work! Our Principles of Organisational Design workshop provides participants with a ‘template’ they can use to analyse their own department or organisation and identify areas in which their people’s natural capability is being restricted by the organisation of work itself. Based on the natural principles of work design that are required to liberate natural creativity, this workshop consistently opens eyes as participants see what has already been right in front of them. The workshop concludes with actions for each participant and also includes a complementary copy of the book ‘Organisational Design: What Your University Forgot to Teach You’ by Andrew Olivier.
“This is the best way I have seen of linking innate human behaviours to organisational design”. SENIOR MANAGER
Developing Talent Pools:
Now and Succession for the Future (1-2 day)
“I found it really insightful; high order concepts with practical and easy to apply relevance”. HR SPECIALIST.
Requisite Enterprise Refresher (1 day)
“Fundamentals of leadership and managing, which perhaps are acquired over many years of experience….or take this class and get ahead!” SENIOR MANAGER
Effective Recruitment (2 days)
“I feel much more confident in the decision we have made, compared to previous appointments. We’ve made a very informed decision based on real experience. The professionalism of the process was a good reflection on our business, showing candidates that we take it seriously and make sure the appointment is right for everyone.” OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
Change Leadership (1 day)
Enabling Cross-Functional Work (1 day)
“Provided clarity around how we might better manage internal handoffs. Describes and allows clarity around accountability, useful to help understand how to design roles effectively” SENIOR MANAGER
Building The Effective Team (1 day)
“Just a quick note to let you know I trialled the team meeting practice you discussed with us yesterday with my guys today and we ALL loved it. Agreed it was different but the meeting flowed much better. Everyone felt the time they committed was of good use and I pushed back some of the work I would normally have taken ownership of which sits in the staff’s accountabilities. We developed clear actions, decisions and comms. So thank you, I will use the same technique with my other team meetings.” MANAGER.
The Working Journey helps you and your organisation implement business transformation that delivers your goals. This is done while building a sustainable change culture that will ensure your agility and competitive viability. In particular, we:
- Help you design your work systems and programs using complexity science and talent identification methods that ensure you have the right people making effective decisions.
- Partner with your leaders, using our knowledge and experience to guide and develop their individual abilities to lead and deliver successful business outcomes. Our underlying principles ensure that leaders build a trusting and engaged work culture in readiness for the next business transformation.
- Develop an effective work system structure and design for your business by analysing the work against principles of complexity science. Their are underlying principles that allow us to design business transformation that allow innovation and complete engagement.
- Identify the right people to lead and implement your change programs by filling roles with leaders and team members who can make decisions at the relevant level of complexity for successful and effective change.
- Use the Mayer Salvoes Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test to develop the ability of managers to lead change programs that build trust and mutual respect while increasing engagement. In a complex social system, leaders require skills and ability to work with other people. This is vitally important during times of disruption.
The Working Journey eLearning (WJe) is a quality development option that provides leaders with the foundational knowledge for designing effective structure, filling it with the required talent and leading for effective delivery.
Using an online learning approach, you can tailor learning content for your organisation, for your business area or at an individual level. You can target learning content that focuses on areas your business requires at a given time, allowing a program that is cost effective and is not constrained by calendars and schedules.
WJe provides a strong focus on the development of your leaders with subscriptions available for both organisations and individuals.
Choose from six courses consisting of:
- Thirty six modules
- Thirty six learning activities
- A plethora of learning articles for download
- Quizzes to test your knowledge
With more content in continuous development.
- Time – Short and sharp learning videos and activities that engage learners
- Money – A cost effective method of delivering leadership development to more of your leaders
- Flexibility – You can develop your leadership skills when and where it suits you
- Targeted – You can learn specific knowledge and skills that relate to current needs
- Quality – Learning content that has been researched, delivered and continually developed for decades
The complimentary course contains six modules with relevant learning videos, activities and static resources. This course provides you with an understanding of the content, the format used for learning and the technology that supports its delivery.
Become a subscriber
If you would like to discuss how your organisation could benefit from WJe development content, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org If you are interested in individual development for yourself or one of your managers, visit www.developleadersonline.com for information on courses and pricing
As well as providing the below services to organisations, The Working Journey provides training and accreditation in certain areas of knowledge and practice so our clients and associates can have the capability to advise and assist organisations and people to find flow. Accreditation requires ongoing demonstration of competence and is subject to licence conditions. Courses are held according to public demand, or can be delivered in-house for larger organisations who wish to develop their own cadres of practitioners.
Career Path Appreciation / MCPA
Our clients and associates use this powerful process to assist individuals and organisations to gain a deep understanding of the capability of themselves and their people, and how it might unfold. This allows for the work of the organisation and the capability of the individual to be aligned as much as possible to find ‘flow’.
This structured interview is recommended for use with executives, senior managers and high potential individuals and is collaborative, with feedback an essential part. The approximately two hour process allows for an accurate prediction of how an individual’s capability may mature. It does not look at skills, education or personality and has been found to be gender and culture fair. There is an international database of over 40,000 individuals who have been through this process. The Working Journey delivers this training as part of strategic alliance with Bioss and EDAC.
Training requires five days of learning and practice, then eight individual follow-up sessions. Candidates receive a CPA Training Manual and a copy of Andrew Olivier’s book The Working Journey, (2003) MacOlive Publishing.
Initial Recruitment Interview Schedule (IRIS) Practitioner
IRIS is a quick (30 – 40 minute structured interview) an inexpensive way of identifying the level of work complexity or judgment that individuals are comfortable handling, both now and in the future. It is aimed at people working in the operational levels of work from operator to Front Line Manager or people who are joining the organisation with little or no work experience. A second version of IRIS is available for new entrant graduates. The Working Journey delivers this training as part of strategic alliance with Bioss.
A trained IRIS Practitioner can provide an indication of the most suitable level for immediate appointment as well as a broad suggestion of an individual’s likely potential in 5, 10 and 15 years’ time. As such, it can be used for matching individual capability with work requirements, identifying supervisory / managerial potential for career development purposes, ensuring that people recruited for specific positions will be neither over-extended nor under-utilized, identifying “high flyers” or fast tracking, and charting the talent pool to assist in future succession.
Training requires five days of learning and practice, then individual follow-up sessions. Candidates receive a copy of Andrew Olivier’s book The Working Journey, (2003) MacOlive Publishing.
Levels of Work / Organisational Design Practitioner
Successful candidates emerge from this training with the ability to analyse then apply fundamentals of sound organisational design to improve organisations. Based on the Seven Principles of Organisational Design, this five day training program educates and, if successful, accredits those who will be involved in the review and design of roles, both for immediate needs and in the future.
Training requires a real-world project in order to gain practical experience. The Working Journey may provide an external organisation, (where possible a not for profit organisation) to allow trainee practitioners experience outside their own company (see section on Building the Civic Society).
Successful candidates emerge with the capability to map work systems to understand performance or underperformance, understand the core principles for vertical and horizontal structure for effective design, how to create effective roles using Unique Value-Adding, Time Span, Authority and Accountability. This knowledge and skill is then put to work in the organisation through assisting in restructures, green field design and for analysing why particular areas or departments appear to find difficulty in delivering or retaining talent.
Training requires five days of learning and practice, then an in-house practical in the weeks after for final accreditation. Participants receive a copy of Andrew Olivier’s book Organisational Design – what you University Forgot to Teach you (2013) Xlibris Press and a Levels of Work Practitioner Manual
Requisite Frontline Leadership Facilitator
The Working Journey trains internal staff who have a talent for teaching and facilitating to deliver the Requisite Frontline Leadership Workshop. This provides the organisation with in-house capability to cascade the principles through the organisation, as well providing a knowledge-base in the organisation for others to draw upon. Over time, this group become the expertise in the organisation and a source of significant value as the organisation develops.
Training requires observation of a minimum of three workshops, then specific training on ‘inside’ concepts in order to assist with delivery. ‘Practice’ workshops are observed, then when the candidate is ready, they run a full, unassisted workshop under observation to seek full accreditation. Should this not be successful, feedback is provided and the candidate may attempt accreditation when they are prepared.
* Please note, acceptance for the above training is at the discretion of The Working Journey, and accreditation is not automatic and is at the discretion of The Working Journey
Consulting and Facilitation Services
Using concepts continually developed for over 70 years as well as The Working Journey’s own ongoing research, development and learning from clients, we provide facilitation, advisory and consulting services to organisations throughout Australia, with reach also to Africa, South American and Asia. Examples of services provided include:
Delivering of Effective Change
Do you have the capability and the necessary knowledge to see your plans effectively delivered? Is change needed at a fundamental level? Our reviews and advice can identify areas where any change implemented will be naturally thwarted and can assist in providing a process that will see the future you require for organisational success delivered.
Facilitation of Strategic Intent and Strategy (including long range Scenario Planning)
Does your organisation have a clear intent which provides the context for all work and ultimately taps into the capability of your people? Can be cascaded quickly through the organisation through our Rapid Results Session.
Individual Capability Appreciation
Online or face to face. Integrates with Levels of Work Scan to provide a dynamic real time picture of how the work system is operating and what may need to be done. Capability Interviews are important for understanding individual Journeys, talent pool mapping and development. Allow for an integrated ‘talent map’ of the organisation.
Levels of Work / Organisational Design Reviews
These reviews apply the principles of organisational design to the structure and provides an analysis of how effective the structure is for its purpose both in terms of risk to delivery and to frustrating employees. Check for missing levels, overlaps, duplications, authorities and accountabilities.
A comprehensive approach for effective outcomes. We work with you in a logical and structured process of analysis and redesign for purpose. Your people, structure and leadership become aligned to long term strategy and tactical milestones. Based on the book “Organisational Design, What Your University Forgot to Teach You”.
Rapid Talent Pool Evaluation
Rapid Talent Pool Evaluation can deal with larger numbers and is a process managed by line managers and the Manager Once Removed. Very practical and allows for succession planning and development.
Requisite Leadership Review
How requisite is leadership in your organisation? What is your leadership risk? How effectively do you serve your internal customers…We offer a range of audit and review services that allows both for organisational leadership assessment to identify risk to delivery and which provides a platform for individual development. Organisational Design Analysis.
For those at the crossroads of choices this board game with the help of a skilful facilitation provides the space and guidance to address that important question. It is a dynamic experimental game of self-discovery and assists you the player to draw the answers from within your vast realm of experiences. An interesting option for deciding what to do or gaining insights on vexing issues. A one or two day game option.
The Working Journey provides both one-on-one and group coaching services to allow an individual or a team to systematically raise their level of performance.
We offer an in-depth, discreet and highly effective one on one coaching service. We have a programme for supporting managerial leaders and entrepreneurs at all stages in their career.
We offer a staged coaching programme designed for a managerial leader and their team of direct reports which guides the team through the steps that move the area to being a Requisite Enterprise. The outcome is the structure, capability and leadership practices in place for effective, sustainable delivery of work and people truly engaged in the direction of the business. Used from CEOs and their Executive Level through to frontline managers and their teams, the programme centres on action and outcomes, not theory.
Results of the program include:
- Establishing the environmental context, strategy and plans of the area
- Identification of the roles required with clear accountabilities and unique value-adds
- Analysis of capability of people in the area to deliver across the applied the capability tripod with identification of actions required to allow people to contribute their maximum ability
- Leadership fundamentals of tasking, teamwork and assuring performance understood, practiced and systematically implemented in the area
- Identification of key work systems in the area and decisions made in terms of accountabilities, contributors, users and required outcomes
- Key role relationships identified and the necessary authorities implemented to allow capability to be utilised and work delivered
- Talent Pool management process through the Manager-once-Removed understood and implemented in the area
A Specific Coaching Program exists for HR areas which sees the necessary adjustments to people systems to allow organisational capability to be brought on board and used in the direction of the organisation. These systems include;
- Performance Management
- Annual Appraisal
- Talent Management
The program sees ten individual coaching sessions over 5 months with our professional coaches who have solid entrepreneurial business experience with a combined 100 years of experience. If you are in an organisation, then at least one 3-way session with your manager enrolling his or her support and candid input on your strategic coaching goals and measures of success is included.
The foundation of the process is the Requisite Toolkit for effective leadership – core principles of how to structure, organise and lead in order to be an effective, fair, outcome focused professional who leads, inspires, communicates, sets direction, assigns effective tasks, gives authority with accountability and creates space for the best of your team to emerge and is able to manage performance
The end result is a raising of your knowledge and skill to see both your own work delivered, and your own people finding flow through becoming more valuable to the organisation.
Mentoring for High Potentials and Executives
Please contact Andrew Olivier directly email@example.com